Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rothwell Congregational Church: Pevsner nods


Pevsner goes into raptures over Holy Trinity, Rothwell, discussing it for three pages. It is a large church that used to be even larger, though no one seems sure quite how, and has a bone crypt that I shall have to visit it one day.

But the building I really wanted to see is not in the first edition of Pevsner at all. I had glimpsed it many times, as it faces side-on to a drive that leads off one of the main roads out of town. Perhaps that explains why Pevsner missed it. Stella & Rose's Books describes his methods:
during the Easter and Summer breaks, as this was the only time Pevsner could afford to take out from his other commitments, he would travel around the countryside in a car driven by his wife Karola. They would drive from dawn until dusk with Pevsner scribbling on a clipboard, then that same evening Pevsner would write the first draft.
Clearly, Karola took Fox Street, Rothwell, at to fast a lick for him to spot the town's Congregational Church.

That church is the right-hand building in the photograph above. Now a United Reformed Church, it dates from 1735 with later additions up to 1852. You can read a full description on British Listed Buildings, but it is clear that this church's real glory is its interior - it "has a simple facade but has a remarkable interior in a sophisticated classical style" says Wikipedia - so I shall have to go back.

But I was rather taken with the other building in the photo, which is a Sunday school that dates from late in the 19th century. It is essentially a red-brick industrial building - the rear, with its bricked-up windows, looks like a mill that has fallen on hard times - but it was given an ironstone frontage in a loosely defined Gothic to make it respectable enough to face the church.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this photo. I recently inherited an 19th century family album which contains a photo of the building on the right. It was not identified but is clearly the same building you have shown as "Sunday school" building. Sarah in New Jersey, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I realise this post is pretty old now, but I own the church and would love to see the photos you have. It closed as a church in 2022 and we purchased it to convert to our home in 2024. I am maintaining a website dedicated to the last 300 years (and hopefully the next 300 too). The school rooms are currently owned by a developer looking to convert to commercial (inappropriate and planning permission refused)

      Delete