I am never sure how personal to be on such occasions, remembering a story from Read My Lips by Matthew Parris and Phil Mason:
Anyway, here is my list:
In 1948, a Washington radio station contacted ambassadors in the capital, asking what each would most like for Christmas. Britain's representative, Sir Oliver Franks, mistook the request.
French Ambassador: Peace throughout the world.
Soviet Ambassador: Freedom for all people enslaved by imperialism.
Sir Oliver: Well, it's very kind of you to ask. I'd quite like a box of crystallized fruit.
- Nick Clegg to turn out to be half as good as his supporters claimed he was during the election campaign;
- Guantanamo Bay to close;
- A Lib Dem education policy that goes further than "we agree with the NUT";
- Jonathan Ross to be sacked by the BBC;
- Me to get more paid writing published;
- Andrew Flintoff to return to test cricket;
- Chelsea to win the Champions League;
- Leicester Tigers to win everything in sight.