Saturday, January 24, 2009

Strike threat at the Shropshire Star

From Hold the Front Page:

Journalists in Shropshire are threatening to ballot for industrial action claiming managers are refusing to answer their questions about job cuts.

Midland News Association, publisher of the Shropshire Star and the Express and Star, is looking for 70 compulsory redundancies after a plan to cut 135 jobs by voluntary redundancy failed to get enough takers.

The National Union of Journalists chapel in Shropshire wants to know how many of those job losses will fall in its editorial department but says managers have so far failed to respond.

It says that if it doesn't get an answer by close of play on Monday - or if any NUJ member is given notice putting them at risk of redundancy - the chapel will trigger a ballot for industrial action.

The regional press was in crisis long before the credit crunch, but what shall I write about if the Star goes on strike?

3 comments:

shropshire jobs said...

Hey, You have carried out an outstanding position. Let me definitely yahoo this as well as in my estimation advise in order to my guys. I am sure they’ll often be benefited from this site.

shropshire jobs said...

Useful info. Fortunate me I found your web site by accident, and I’m surprised why this coincidence did not came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

Jonathan Calder said...

I am loving this Shropshire spam.