Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Is this blog covered by the new press regulator?

I asked this question on Twitter yesterday and received answers varying from obviously yes to obviously no.

My suspicion is that nobody knows. The Leveson Report barely considered the internet and the new law arose from a deal done in the small hours by party leaders and pressure group representatives after a process resembling the change of prime minister in The Thick of It.

I suspect we shall have to wait for some case law to find out what the new legislation means. And recent experience suggests that the judges may not take the side of bloggers.

1 comment:

Frank Little said...

My guess is that web-sites (including blogs) linked to paper journals will be covered. I hope so; it may clean up the Daily Mail's act.