Thursday, March 17, 2016

Six of the Best 581

Garth Stahl explains why white, working-class boys shun university.

"The word 'Zio' was part of the club’s lexicon, despite its connotations eventually becoming widely known." Alex Chalmers on why he resigned as co-chair of Oxford University Labour Club.

Andrew Allen says the government should forget the idea of an trans-Pennine road tunnel.

Sarah Mills looks at the way the Girl Guides' evolving badge programme reveals wider changes in society over time.

"I remember crying all the way through the scene where he did the 'Singin' in the Rain' number. And my sister said, "What are you crying for?" and I said, "Well, he just seems so happy.'" Michael Koresky interviews the film director Terence Davies.

"I don’t think I have ever wanted something to happen more in sport in my entire life than for Claudio Ranieri’s side to win the Premier League," says Gary Lineker.

1 comment:

Phil Beesley said...

Garth Stahl writes: "During my time teaching in South London, I became interested in how white working-class boys – the UK’s lowest performing ethnic group – came to aspire and regard themselves as valuable individuals within a neoliberal expectation of social mobility."

It's a cracking good essay from Garth, except when he used the expression "neoliberal".

Perhaps Garth has a few thoughts about "meritocracy"? Whatever Michael Young expected us to think in contrary ways.