Sunday, February 11, 2007

Mike Oborski

More sad news this evening: Mike Oborski has died.

There is more news on the Wyre Forest Liberals site and Tom Watson, the Labour MP, pays him a notably magnanimous tribute:
The title “great man” is overused in this age of easy tributes and casual sentiment but for Mike, it’s application is properly applied.

A Liberal - not Liberal Democrat, a Polish Consul, the greatest community campaigner I have ever met and probably ever will, he stood up for what he believed in. At various points in time, he drove nearly every member of Wyre Forest Labour Party into incandescent rages such was his genius, but my God did they admire him. They’ll all miss him too. I’ll miss him.

4 comments:

James Graham (Quaequam Blog!) said...

I only knew Mike by reputation (again, largely from when I used to work in the West Mids - I get around), but it was a pretty impressive one at that. Lib Dems rarely forgive "Continuity Liberals" but Mike commanded real respect on all sides.

Nich Starling said...

I never knew him, I only remember in the mid 1990's him publishing minutes of Wyre Forest Liberal Democrats executive meetings (which he had obtained via sources) on Usenet, which I thought was a pretty low thing to do.

Peter Pigeon said...

Very sad news.

Rob Fenwick said...

We had some e-mail exchanges - he was always civil, and gentlemanly.