Sunday, August 15, 2010

Live from The Stiperstones Inn

You join me in one of my favourite watering holes - The Stiperstones Inn. A photograph of it will appear in a day or two. Later: It has!

This morning I got off the Shrewsbury bus at White Grit and walked here via Squilver and The Bog. You don't get place names like that anywhere else.

Skittles still thrives* and the pub still has its free internet scheme. It's not just a hotspot: they will hand you a laptop over the bar.

The beer is good and they serve food all day, every day. In fact the place is so good and so remote that I am afraid I may have imagined it.

In just the same way, Bishop's Castle - two pubs that brew their own beer, the best second-hand classical record shop I know - is surely too good to be true. One day I shall turn up there and find just a bare, green hillside.

* I am told that Skittles turned up at the kitchen door one day, was fed duck and decided to stay and serve as pub cat. Well, you would.

5 comments:

paul barker said...

My fave placename is "New Machine", a tiny hamlet in the Pennines.

dreamingspire said...

How about Nempnett Thrubwell in Somerset? Also known as Fairy's Toot or Fairy Toot (according to http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3379/nempnett_thrubwell.html). (I have Somerset roots, but not at Fairy Toot.)

David from London said...

Stratton Strawless in Norfolk.

suzegrit said...

Don't you mean via Shelve and The Bog? Squilver is a bit out of the way and you would reach The Bog (the cakes are still excellent!) before Squilver

Jonathan Calder said...

I was talking about Squilver Farm near White Grit, not the Squilver near the Stiperstones car park.