Harborough District Council under our control would...The fifth reason is a particularly strong one.
- Immediately investigate the possible reopening of closed public toilets.
- Ensure that everything possible is done to tackle the impact of Airfield Farm should it proceed - why should existing communities have to suffer?
- End grand schemes to build new council offices and buy land, use council reserves instead to invest in front-line services.
- Investigate the removal of car park charges on Bank Holidays to encourage visitors.
- Seek to move from the current Executive system at the council, replacing it with the more accessible and accountable committee system. People are fed up with decisions being made behind closed doors rather than in public. We would make the council more open.
- Introduce kerbside plastic recycling collection and further increase recycling.
Ironically, the "modernised" Executive system, brought in with encouragement from Blair's Labour government, took the council back to the ethos that I caught the very end of when I was first elected in 1986. Then, too, a small clique of Tory councillors from one party took all the important decisions with limited scrutiny from other councillors or the public.