Tuesday, December 22, 2015

In praise of BBC Radio 4 Extra


Since I got myself a digital radio I have fallen in love with a new station: BBC Radio 4 Extra.

I suppose you have to be of a certain age to appreciate a station based on the archives, but who would want to listen to the Today programme when you can go to work cheered by an episode of Round the Horne?

This morning Julian and Sandy, as Bona Mediums, were demonstrating their gift of second vada.

Another programme I have heard on it recently is Alick Rowe's play from the 1980s Crisp and Even Brightly,which Stephen Tall has written about today.

In some ways, with its varied, interesting schedule, Radio 4 Extra resembles that other resort of the insomniac, BBC World Service, before it was transformed into a rolling news service. And it's certainly more fun than the World Service is today.

No comments: