Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Paul Mason and what comes after even later capitalism

I once wrote in a column for the New Statesman website:
When I was in the habit of reading academic works, theorists talked of "late capitalism" - as though the Revolution were bound to come soon. If I were to open such books today, I expect I should find we are living under "even later capitalism".
Now Paul Mason has written a book called Postcapitalism. Well, it's good to dream, and we are short of imaginative thinking in economics, even if Mason's Twitter account these days is written from the barricades of an nonexistent revolution.

But I was amused by the assurance of the Guardian subeditor who introduced an article by Mason on the ideas in his book:
Without us noticing, we are entering the postcapitalist era.
So now we know what comes after even later capitalism.

No comments: