Sunday, October 14, 2007

John Bird and John Fortune: Well Anyway

I have just watched the South Bank Show documentary about the two Johns. There was no mention of Well Anyway - the situation comedy they wrote and performed for the BBC in 1976.

I remember enjoying it at the time and being impressed by them, even though I was too young to know anything of their involvement in the satire boom of the early 1960s.

Yet there is next to nothing about the programme on IMDB and only a little more detail at mtv.com:
The setting for this British sitcom was the Earl's Court District of London. By day a photographer and sculptor, John Dally (John Bird) moonlighted as a private eye. Dally's hectic if well-balanced existence was upset by the arrival of John Chance (John Fortune), who claimed to have been a college pal of Dally's from Cambridge. Presumptively moving in with his "old friend" for what was supposed to be a few days, Chance remained on the premise for what seemed to be forever -- or at least, for the duration of the series' seven episodes. Written by its two stars, Well Anyway was originally broadcast from September 24 to November 5, 1976.
I am coming to the conclusion that I am the only person alive who remembers certain television programmes. This is one of them, and other examples are Gophers! and Edward Woodward in 1990.

3 comments:

Seth said...

That's way too old for me as I was two years old when it came out! However, I hadsn't relkaise they been around for so long.

You've got a good site here, so thanks to Myth Shifter (www.mythshifter.com) for linking to you or I'd never have found you.

Anonymous said...

I was 15 when I watched this series, the only thing I can vaguely recall about this series is a scene where John Bird gets a bottle of champagne from the back of a milk float, very surreal.

Louis Barfe said...

A friend mentioned this just now on Twitter, and I was moved to look up its archival status. Oh dear. Of the 6 episodes, only number 3 survives. The South Bank Show also failed to mention John Bird and John Wells' Leeds series for YTV, which exists in its entirety.