Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The Chagall windows at All Saints, Tudeley

On Sunday I was looking through Simon Jenkins' England's Thousand Best Churches and came across a photograph of a stained glass window at All Saints, Tudeley in Kent. It is one of 12 at the church by the Russian emigré artist Marc Chagall.

The photograph showed one of those windows, which is a memorial to Sarah d'Avigdor-Goldsmid, who died in 1963 in a sailing accident off Rye, aged 21. She was the daughter of the Tory MP Sir Henry d'Avigdor-Goldsmid.

In my lunch hour today I was reading Cold Cream by Ferdinand Mount. By one of those odd coincidences, it contains an account of Sarah d'Avigdor-Goldsmid's death.

1 comment:

Philip Wilkinson said...

These windows are superb – I mean to blog about them myself one of these days. When I visited the church it was a glorious blue-sky summer day and when I came out someone was doing loop the loops in a biplane in the sky above. Magical.