Saturday, February 27, 2010

Kingdom Hall, Market Harborough

This morning I was passing the Jehovah's Witnesses' hall in Market Harborough. There was the notice of a planning application on the gate and a lot of people around.

I asked one of them and, sure enough, it is being demolished in a few days so that they can build a better church in its place.

Later on I came back to try some more shots in case the light was better. This time I was invited inside to see some photos that were taken when the Hall was put up in the late 1960s.

It is hardly a thing of beauty, but it has been there for as long as I have known the town. And it did outlive the railway to Rugby that once ran behind it and the cattle market that used to face it across the road.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will it be finished by Easter? Oh, hang on. Who cares.

Foregone Conclusion said...

I think Anonymous rather misses the point. I actually love these little snippets, which remind you that you can never really completely know a place, and that a small English town can be as much a cornucopia of curiosities to the broad-minded as anywhere else on earth.

Chris Matthews said...

a·non·y·mous (-nn-ms)
adj.
1. Having an unknown or unacknowledged name: an anonymous author.
2. Having an unknown or withheld authorship or agency: an anonymous letter; an anonymous phone call.
3. Having no distinctive character or recognition factor:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you bloggers! I meant the Witnesses don't care for Easter.

Foregone Conclusion said...

Aha! I owe you an apology, then, I'm afraid my knowledge of the doctrine of the Jehovah's Witnesses is rather scanty.

Wartime Housewife said...

Why do people leave anonymous comments anyway? If one has an opinion, one should own it.

The old Kingdom Hall is an exceptionally ugly building and I will be glad to see it go. I just hope that the new structure has been designed with some sensitivity. That stretch of road could do with an architectural boost.

tom sheepandgoats said...

Wow. Now THAT is an old Kingdom Hall. Though not from your neck of the woods, I haven't seen one that dated in a long long time. I suspect the new one will go up very quickly and will be much more attractive.

Anonymous said...

Are you not hiding behind the words Wartime Housewife?