Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lord Bonkers Diary: Lembit Opik on Arjen Robben Island

Our week at Bonkers Hall continues...

Thursday

Who should I bump into today but Lembit Öpik? When I commiserate with him over his failure to become the Liberal Democrat candidate for Mayor of London (I tactfully fail to mention that he came bottom of the poll), he replies: ”I think like every great politician you have to have some wilderness years. Nelson Mandela had them. Many other people had them.”

I may have been a little short with him after that, but who can blame me? My old friend Nelson Mandela spent his wilderness years imprisoned on Arjen Robben Island; he did not spend them appearing on ‘Celebrity Coach Trip’ alongside Michael Barrymore, John McCririck and someone called ‘Wagner’ from something called ‘The X Factor’.

(That said, if any television producer wishes me to appear, a letter sent to the House of Lords will find me).

Previously on Lord Bonkers' Diary

No comments: