Saturday, December 24, 2011

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Remembering John Maynard Keynes

Thursday

You do hear a great deal about my old friend John Maynard Keynes these days, don’t you? This warms my heart, because he was the soundest of men: an Apostle, President of Cambridge University Liberal Club, adviser to Lloyd George in the Great War and founder of the Arts Council.

I never could quite get my mind around his economic ideas, but when you hear people say that we should borrow lots of money and, if we have trouble paying it back, borrow even more, while citing the great man in support of their views, I cannot help feeling there was More To It than that.

Keynes, incidentally, was author of the pamphlet “Can Lloyd George Do It?” The consensus amongst reviewers was that he could – and did so frequently.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary...

No comments: