Sunday, April 10, 2022

Jean Calder (1931-2022)

Embed from Getty Images

Years ago, Graham Tope came to Market Harborough to help us in the local elections. It happened that one of the doors he knocked on belonged to my mother, and she introduced herself to him as "the Dowager Lady Bonkers".

Sadly, the Dowager Lady B. died this morning at the age of 90.

It was peaceful, as people always hope deaths will be, and we had been given the time to say the things to each other that needed to be said. For that reason, among many others, I am grateful for the increasing time I have spent caring for her in recent years.

I owe my mother everything for keeping the show on the road after my father walked out on us. And, whether through genetics or influence, I get my wit (such as it is), my romantic notions about England and my belief in education for its own sake from her too.

Her surname after her second marriage (to a much better man than my father) was Mattey, but when she had her writing published she wrote as Jean Calder, so I have used that name in my headline.

Blogging seems distinctly old fashioned now, but I still have an affection for it and intend to keep Liberal England going. Thanks for sticking with it as posts became rarer.

It occurs to me that I am now an orphan, but I would not claim to be Well-Behaved.

11 comments:

brandnewguy said...

My condolences to you, Jonathan, on your sad loss.

Peter Black said...

Condolences on your loss

Democracy Man said...

Condolences Jonathan

Peter Golden said...

My every sympathy to you, Jonathan, on your loss.

Matthew Buck said...

Condolences on your loss.

Martin Brookes @oakhamuk said...

Best Wishes

tonyhill said...

Your blog has meant a great deal to me over the years so please carry on when it seems right for you. My good wishes to you.

Frank Little said...

What they all said.

callmemadam said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I have admired the way you cared for your mother.
Do keep blogging!

Phil Beesley said...

Sorry for your loss.

Jonathan Calder said...

Thank you all for your kind comments.