Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lord Bonkers writes for Liberal Democrat Voice

My alter ego has an article over at Lib Dem Voice.

He repeats some favourite diary items from the past 17 years - Lord Bonkers Diary first appeared in Liberator in the spring of 1990 - and paints a portrait of life on his Rutland estate:

Down in the village you may find that celebrated hostelry the Bonkers’ Arms, which serves the best kept pint of Smithson & Greaves Northern Bitter that you will find anywhere. (I find the Dahrendorf lager too gassy for my taste - it has me going off like a pop gun all night.) Across the green from the pub rises the slender spire of St Asquith’s; there the Revd Hughes is taking Divine Service. You certainly get your money’s worth from his sermons.

You may also notice the gargoyles and pinnacles of the Bonkers’ Home for Well-Behaved Orphans. A striking building, it was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott. If it looks familiar it is because the Midland Railway later adopted a rather toned down version of the same design for their new terminus at St Pancras.

I am immensely proud of my charitable work here. In particular, we encourage the little mites to play a full part in the community (please write to me, marking your letter ’Cheap Labour’ for further details ). I never cease to be gratified by the energy and enthusiasm they display: when I went there this morning I found one group busily engaged in building a glider, whilst another was happily vaulting over a wooden horse they had made themselves.

No comments: