Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Lord Bonkers' Diary: J.K.s I have known

Another visit to Bonkers Halls draws to a close.

For many years, my favourite pair of opening bowlers were J.K. Galbraith and J.K. Lever; I was happy whenever I could persuade them to turn out for my XI together. Galbraith’s height and his talent for exposing the inadequacies of laissez-faire economics with witty apercus, together with Lever’s ability to bring the ball back in to right-handers, made them a fearsome combination indeed.

These days, the only J.K. I know is J.K. Rowling, and her only appearance for me proved that she cannot bowl for toffees. I once tried reading one of her books, but could get nowhere with it. As I remarked to the Well-Behaved Orphans at the time, who wants to read about children who live in a vast gothic institution?

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West, 1906-10.

Earlier this week

2 comments:

Tristan said...

J.K. Lever was cricket coach and PE teacher at my school.
I was quite excited to have an England cricketer as a teacher, sadly it was something of a letdown (as meeting heroes usually is)

J.K. Galbraith was sadly missing from the staff however.

Cornishjim said...

At least you never made the mistake of selecting Jay Kay - whilst he has a nice cover drive and is the man for a quick single (some people think the use of a Ferrari is against the Spirit & it does tend to leave a lot of wear outside leg stump for the leg spinner Tiger JK to utilise) - but he is a positively vile man and you'll find a lack of opponents next year