Monday, December 08, 2014

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Fellows, Morton & Clayton

Monday (cont.)

It was then I recalled the early days of the Independent Television franchise for Rutland. In those days we prided ourselves upon our coverage of international affairs, so it was a blow when, owing to an unfortunate concatenation of circumstances, we found ourselves unable to cover Suez.

Nothing daunted, I stepped in and restaged the whole thing at Foxton Locks with the local Scouts and a couple of narrowboats borrowed from Fellows, Morton & Clayton. We had a grand time of it, but imagine my annoyance the next day when I learnt that the promised legend ‘Reconstruction’ had not appeared on the screen even for a moment.

You know how one is always reading in the newspapers that people are “bracing themselves” for things? Well, I braced myself for a deluge of letters of complaint, but – do you know what? – not a single one arrived. The public had not noticed a thing.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary
  • Confessions of a Knocker Up
  • Saturn? Terribly Far
  • No comments: