Saturday, November 19, 2016

Finding Mountsorrel station


A year ago the Mountsorrel branch reopened and I decided to go and look for it myself today.

I found Mountsorrel station some way uphill from the centre of the village. A poster claimed heritage trains run throughout the year, but there were no signs of activity. The site was locked up and something of a challenge to photograph,

You can read about the history of the branch and of the effort that went into its restoration on the Mountsorrel and Rothley Community Heritage Centre site.

And you can watch a video of steam on the line on this blog.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been my experience too. On the visit us page it is very unclear when trains actually run. Bizarrely the whole place is closed over the Christmas holidays through until the New Year - just when people have the spare time to visit.

Jonathan Calder said...

I had a message from the people running the line saying that regular trains are unlikely to start until 2017.

They also said thhe heritage centre run by the project is open 10 til 5 every day and is expanding in 2017 to include a railway museum.

I'll be back.