Sunday, February 17, 2008

Mark Ronson on Steve Winwood

You see? It's not just me.

Here is Mark Ronson, a Young Person who has just won a Grammy for his record production, writing in today's Sunday Times:
It was a good thing that I didn’t know much about Blind Faith. I was oblivious to the backlash and antihype that marred rock’n’roll’s first supergroup. All I knew was that when Eric Clapton’s finger-picked guitar line came in, with those heartbreakingly beautiful overdubbed fills, I was dazed. When Steve Winwood’s reverb-tinged falsetto entered, with that first line, “Come down off your throne and leave your body alone”, I could have cried. Maybe I did cry.
And:
It’s strange and surprising to me that only in the past year, while going through the earlier work of Traffic and the Spencer Davis Group, have I realised Steve Winwood might well be my favourite singer ever. But, 17 years ago, when I first heard that song, I didn’t need to know any of that. All I needed to know was that this was the most bittersweet, stunning piece of music I had ever heard. And it still is.
Steve Winwood wrote "Can't Find My Way Home".

No comments: