Saturday, August 02, 2008

Blogger gives me my blog back

Yesterday evening I logged into Blogger to be greeted with a message saying that Liberal England had been identified as a spam blog and would be deleted in 20 days if I did not request a review. In the mean time I could not post anything.

Surfing the net, it soon became clear that this was a widespread problem. The general theory was that Blogger's spambot had run amok and returned numerous false positives.

Blogger Buzz admits to the problem as follows:

While we wish that every post on this blog could be about cool features or other Blogger news, sometimes we have to step in and admit a mistake.

We've noticed that a number of users have had their blogs mistakenly marked as spam, and wanted to sound off real quick to let you know that, despite it being Friday afternoon, we are working hard to sort this out. So to those folks who have received an email saying that your blog has been classified as spam and can't post right now, we offer our sincere apologies for the trouble.

We hope to have this resolved shortly, and appreciate your patience as we work through the kinks.

The good news this morning is that I am allowed to post again, but the episode has brought home to me that I rely upon Blogger but have no control over its actions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once had a similar problem with a thing called Spamcop, which decided, all by itself, that my outgoing mail was spam and would be blocked. The previous day I had sent out a small, genuine BCC mailing.

The Spamcop site said that my mail would probably be working again in a few days (it was) but that complaining was inadvisable, and legal action was most certainly not recommended, as the time taken to deal with such things would delay restoration of my mail.

Governments that behave like that are called fascist dictatorships.

Paul Walter said...

They once suspended to check I wasn't a robot. How very dare they!

Jonathan Wallace said...

I got caught with the same problem. Fortunately, my blog has now been unlocked as well.