Friday, August 08, 2008

Dog clone woman is "Manacled Mormon" kidnapper

Those of us of a certain age have memories of Joyce McKinney and the "Manacled Mormon" case in the back of our minds somewhere. The Times helpfully provides a reminder of the details:

In 1977, the former Miss Wyoming stalked her lover, a Mormon missionary, to a tabernacle in East Ewell, Surrey, allegedly kidnapped him and held him in a cottage in Devon. There, the 17-stone Kirk Anderson claimed, his petite, busty admirer tied him to a bed using mink-trimmed handcuffs, slipped into a see-through nightie and forced him into sex.

At a remand hearing she declared her love for the Mormon with the immortal line: “I’d ski naked down Mount Everest with a carnation up my nose if he asked me.”

It does so because it turns out that Joyce McKinney is the same person as the Bernann McKinney who this week was reported as having paid $50,000 for five cloned copies of Booger, her pit bull terrier.

It seems that all these years on, McKinney still loves not wisely but too well.

3 comments:

Haribo said...

My old man recounted this story to me yesterday.

What a dull time I was born into.

James Graham (Quaequam Blog!) said...

"Dog clone woman is "Manacled Mormom" kidnapper"

Best. Headline. Evar.

Charlieman said...

At the age of 14, I wanted to become a Mormon missionary...

I didn't know at that same time that the bloke across the road called Andrew Newton was Britain's top dog assassin. Our family hardly noticed him, and he wasn't a babe magnet. Even when the Thorpe story emerged, Mormon missionary had more career appeal than canine shooter. To my regret, I followed neither profession.