Friday, September 19, 2008

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Meet the Impertinent Girls

Another week with Rutland's most celebrated peer draws to a close.

Sunday

I have decided to dabble in popular music once again (my part in the phenomenon that was Rutbeat in the 1960s has yet to be fully chronicled) and am on the lookout for new talent to add to my stable of artistes. When I say “stable,” I mean it literally, as that is where the recording studio is located.

This morning I audition a charming pair of twins who go under the name of “The Impertinent Girls”: they are not very good singers, but I gather that is no longer regarded as an impediment to a career “in the business” – much as one need no longer believe in God to be a Church of England minister.

Their rendering of a song encouraging the listener to touch a certain part of their anatomy is regarded as a certain “hit” by all who hear it. My only worry now is keeping them away from poor Lembit.

People who like This Sort of Thing should now read: