Monday, March 09, 2009

We are all joining Lynne's Army, apparently

From PR Week:

The Liberal Democrats are planning to mobilise an 'army of bloggers' in a bid to fight Labour and the Conservatives over the web.

Up to 100 Lib Dem bloggers are set to convene at the end of this month to thrash out ways in which the party can improve its internet communications.

The assembled bloggers will discuss ways to use the web to mobilise supporters. They will also look in to the possibility of unleashing a ‘star blogger’ to rival Labour’s Derek Draper or the Tory-leaning blogger Iain Dale.

The meeting on March 28 will be chaired by Lib Dem MP Lynne Featherstone, who was recently appointed by party chiefs to head a new ‘technology advisory board’.

Did we know about this?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that the royal 'we'?

I knew about it because I got an email from the 'ecampaignteam' asking for volunteers to help develop the party's 'ecampaigning'.

I think anyone who replied will have been invited to this meeting.

Jonathan Calder said...

No, it was "we" meaning the Lib Dem blogosphere.

I did not receive an email from the party's ecampaigning and have not been invited.

Oh well.

Iain Rubie Dale said...

Would have been nice to have known about it. Is it only an English State Party initiative?

Anonymous said...

The event later this month is for coders, i.e. the people who filled in Lynne's survey from a few weeks ago, rather than for bloggers. Invites went to everyone who completed the survey.

That said, I think there is merit in organising a bloggers meetup at some point and would be very interested to hear any views on this.

Peter Black said...

First I have heard about it too. Seems this group is a bit cliquey!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea, but I've re-read Lynne's email and there is indeed an invitation buried in there. Sadly even my busy student schedule means I'm going down to Bristol all weekend instead.

Costigan Quist said...

Unleashing a star blogger? How many do we have leashed?

Jonathan Calder said...

Must be thinking of Pink Dog.

Iain Dale said...

I am outraged. I had dinner with Lynne tonight and she never mentioned it once. How dare she not invite me. er...

Anonymous said...

An odd choice of picture for a party that has sold out Britain over the Lisbon Treaty...

Jonathan Calder said...

I thought it went rather well with the name of this blog, but there you go.

Jennie Rigg said...

"unleashing a ‘star blogger’ to rival Labour’s Derek Draper or the Tory-leaning blogger Iain Dale."

Ahahahahahahahahahaha!!! This is akin, in my mind, to saying "the Lib Dems are really hoping for a politician of integrity and gravitas to lead them , like Tony Blair or Christine Hamilton". Why do the media buy into this rancid testicles?

But yes, FWIW, I got an invite too, and it's for coders and web developers rather than bloggers. Sadly I can't justify - to my daughter, or financially - a second trip to That London in a month, or I would be there.