Friday, January 29, 2010

Lord Bonkers' Diary: The Liberal Youth boot camp

Friday

When I heard that Liberal Youth (as the Young Liberals insist upon calling themselves nowadays) were planning to hold a boot camp, I was more than happy to lend a hand. As I have long insisted, we shall not be able to build a society in which none shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity without a bit of discipline.

Thus it was that I turned up on the first day with the Regimental Sergeant Major of the Queen’s Own Rutland Highlanders – I happen to be their Colonel in Chief. He certainly wasted no time in licking them into shape: “I want to see my face in that ethically sourced jute Focus delivery bag, you ‘orrible little man” and so forth.

The Young Liberals all seemed to enjoy themselves immensely and the day was voted a success by all. For the sake of completeness, I must add that I first tried to institute such a camp in the late 1960s and received rather short shrift (though they did later appreciate the training in guerrilla warfare that I provided here on the Bonkers Hall Estate).

No comments: