Monday, August 05, 2013

How we retained the Ashes in Brixworth


When England won back the Ashes in 2009 I was in Sutton Bridge and when we retained them a couple of winters ago Lord Bonkers even liveblogged the occasion.

I am on holiday again now, but my mother is older and frailer, which makes it harder to get away (though I shall be in Shropshire this weekend).

I listened to the cricket this morning. The promised rain had not arrived and by lunch England were rocking at 35-3.

Radical measures were clearly required, so I caught the bus to Brixworth and had another go at photographing its magnificent Saxon church.

When I got to the village I checked my phone. England were 37-3 and it was raining. I explored the village, went round the church and then checked again. It was still raining.

I got home and the match had been abandoned.

If you know your cricket history, there is something wonderful about living in an era when it can be something of an anticlimax for England to retain the Ashes.


No comments: