Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Psychogeography in Leicester


This afternoon I explored a deconsecrated church, found some Green Men and a foundation stone laid by J.W. Logan MP, and rediscovered the building where I drew with Nigel Short in a simultaneous display. My camera battery gave out just as I came across some Victorian factories to photograph.

As in previous years, I shall save up most of the discoveries from summer holiday until later in the year. (Reader's voice: I may be out in October.)

And there is a word for my explorations of Leicester:
Psychogeography is an ambiguous, debated and occasionally derided concept that in the last few decades has gone through cycles of discovery, rediscovery, acclaim, pretension, caricature and backlash. 
The most illustrative definition I have read is by Joseph Hart who describes it as “a whole toy box full of playful, inventive strategies for exploring cities… just about anything that takes pedestrians off their predictable paths and jolts them into a new awareness of the urban landscape.” Its main device for exploration is aimless, drifting ‘derives’ or wanderings through the landscape.
Read more about psychogeography on adcochrane.

1 comment:

gsfougaras said...

http://printmakingcentral.tumblr.com/post/157524915949/personal-maps-printed-works-on-the-theme-of-sense

Hi, this is a personal response to the idea of experiencing spaces and places in a deeply personal way. I hope it may be of interest to you.

George