Thursday, August 15, 2013

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Escape from Liberal Youth

Tuesday

Meadowcroft finds a youth, dishevelled and wet through, sleeping in his potting shed and hales him before me for judgment.

“Please don’t send me back,” sobs the accused, “I have escaped from the Liberal Youth Activate weekend. I thought it would be fun, but all we got was endless canvassing drill and lectures on the perils of self-abuse.”

I give him a hot bath, square meal, suit of clothes and ten bob for the train, but am left troubled. “What has happened to the Spirit of Liberalism, which was first brought to these shores by Joseph of Arimathea?” I ask.

Meadowcroft puts on his thoughtful face.

“You say Westminster is befangled with knights?”

“That’s right,” I return.

“And the Spirit of Liberalism is missing?”

“Indubitably.

“Then send them aquesting for it!”

“Meadowcroft, you are a genius.”

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Earlier this week in Lord Bonkers' Diary

No comments: