Sunday, April 19, 2020

Wings: Jet



The first single I bought with my own money, or at least my own record token, was Kites by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound. That was pretty damned cool for a seven-year-old and proof that I was into Sixties psychedelia even at the time.

Seven years later I bought my first LP: Band on the Run by Wings. I can remember being a little disappointed with it when I got it home as it was all a bit safe and middle class. I gave it away years ago.

Yet I had bought Band on the Run because I loved the two singles from it - the title track and Jet - so much. With Jet in particular, I can remember listening to it and then turning to the dial to try to find another station that was playing it.

Listening to it today I cannot fathom why I thought so much of it. Maybe you had to hear it on Radio Luxembourg under the bedclothes?

1 comment:

Phil Beesley said...

Band on the Run was released in December 1973 and 1973 was a bad year for pop music -- the stuff that made it to the UK charts. It started off with 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon' and Little Jimmy Osmond so the year had to get better, but not by much. Slade made it to number one three times with pretty much the same composition.

One of the chocolate manufacturers ran a promotion -- collect so many wrappers and get a free single. I have the copy of Wishing Well by Free for which one of my sisters saved. I must remember to compliment her for her good choice.