Sunday, January 22, 2023

Why everybody loves Pat Nevin

Embed from Getty Images

I love Pat Nevin. I loved him as a player at Chelsea and I love him as a broadcaster now. I think everybody loves Pat Nevin.

The other night he was the summariser on a Chelsea game and named a change Graham Potter needed to make and why - bring on Aubameyang, even though he's not looked that interested lately, so Havertz could play a little deeper, which suits his game - just before Potter made it. And the change worked.

That is the sort of analysis listeners crave and so rarely get.

And then there was his hinterland. Here was a player who appeared on art quiz programmes hosted by George Melly.

So when I saw his memoir The Accidental Footballer in the library I grabbed it. And I'm not disappointed:

When Annabel wasn't around, if I wasn't eating at the Chelsea Kitchen you would find me at another cheap café called Vince's at Fulham Broadway with another friend, John Millar, the new young full back at Chelsea. I always tried to help and integrate the young players coming through, especially but not exclusively if they had come down from Scotland. 
In the café we started chatting about 'fitba' and 'Glesga' to a gruff, Rangers-supporting, six-foot-tall Glaswegian called Wullie who worked as a road sweeper. We started to see him regularly in the café and I suppose what follows tells you a lot about why I loved London so much, 
A few months after we'd met him Wullie asked, ''So wit ur ye daein the night, wee man?' 
'Actually I am going down to the South Bank.' I sheepishly said. 'There's a retrospective on about the Garman film director Werner Herzog and he is doing a talk afterwards that I want to hear...' I tailed off expecting a torrent of abuse from the road sweeper for being a culture snob. 
'Funny that,' says Wullie. 'So am I'. 
After months of talking 'fitba', spouting nonsense and judging each other as rough 'Glesga boys' it turned out that among other things he had a deep love of the arts, had an encyclopaedic knowledge of Wagner's Ring Cycle and was also a friend of Sir Peter Hall! 

As to the question of whether Pat Nevin and Terry Butcher are cousins, it seems they are not blood relatives but are related by marriage.

2 comments:

Donalda McSporran said...

Haw Jonathan, first time poster, long time reader here. Ahh used to watch Pat with mah uncle Div when he played for Clyde. Div wiz aw made up aboot Pat, he wid shout stuff like 'Mon Ferguson get it oot tae Nevin ya clunge'. Ye may ken that manager Craig Broon wiz mentored by Fabio Capello oan a Scotland - Italian exchange scheme at the time. As Clyde wiz a really wee club mah Div got in wi' Capello. In return for showing him the best Italian coffee hooses and ice cream parlours in Glasgah, Capello wid bring the latest Italo Disco imports back fae Italy. It wisnae really RSC levels of cultural exchange but it worked for us aw the same.

Happy days

Jonathan Calder said...

Thanks, big man.