Friday, February 04, 2011

Ciao, Claudio

I received sad news in a phone call yesterday evening. Claudio Zangerle, the proprietor of my favourite cafe in Market Harborough, died in a road accident in the small hours of that morning. Today's Leicester Mercury confirms the news.

We have all the chain coffee shops in town now, but Giorno had something more individual about it and that was chiefly Claudio's personality. (I did not know his surname until I read of his death today.) He had a touch of continental sophistication and slightly rumpled charm about him - two qualities which can some be in short supply in Harborough.

For the past couple of years I have begun most Saturday mornings in Giorno, often before going off on the photographic trips I have recorded here. I fear that Giorno will not continue without Claudio, so I shall look back on this has a happy little period in my life.

What wisdom I have acquired over the years has taught me that you should appreciate things while you have them. These are the good times we shall look back on one day.

Later. There are tributes to Claudio on the Leicester Mercury site.

1 comment:

dreamingspire said...

Go on, Jonathan, be brave: chuck up the job and take on the cafe. And keep a cat or two there (and a bookcase).