Sunday, February 12, 2012

British Monopoly Championships 1977: A letter to the Guardian

It seems I have a letter in tomorrow's Guardian. The contents will be familiar to anyone who read yesterday's post about the 1997 British Monopoly Championships, which were held on the nuclear pile cap at Oldbury-on-Severn:
I was one of the schoolboys who took part in the Monopoly championships on top of the nuclear pile cap at Oldbury-on-Severn in 1977. Whether I rubbed shoulders with bricklayers and merchant bankers I do not recall, but I did win a couple of games and reached the last dozen competitors. In the next game I had built several houses on Park Lane and Mayfair and my rival was heading for them fast. I had visions of making the final and then a trip to Monaco. Instead he went to jail before he got to my properties and went on to win the game. It was a lesson in the economic system that was to develop in the 1980s.
Another letter on the subject reveals the name of Waddington's "live-wire public relations man" who was behind this remarkable stunt.

1 comment:

Frank Little said...

The legend has morphed into http://www.cartmell.co.uk/aim.html, it appears.