Friday, August 15, 2014

Lord Bonkers' Diary: The elves in my covert

The start of another week at the Hall finds Rutland's most popular fictional peer in contemplative mood.

Monday

It is high summer in Rutland. The meadows are alive with hamwees (or are they wheways?), Meadowcroft is patrolling his herbaceous borders lest an insect so much as look at one of his blooms and I hear the sound of music and laughter from one of my coverts. I had been about to send dogs in, assuming the local teenagers were up to no good in there with a transistor radio, but it may just be the Elves of Rockingham Forest and one does not want to fall out with those fellows.

The Middle East is on fire and aeroplanes are shot from the sky over Ukraine, but as I gaze upon this idyllic scene I am reminded of the words of the poet Hardy put it: “Yet this will go onward the same/ Though Dynasties pass.”

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West 1906-10.

No comments: