Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Straight Outta Nick Compton

The Conference issue of Liberator has arrived, so it is time to enjoy another week at Bonkers Hall.

I can only apologise for the language in this entry.

Tuesday

Despite my advanced age – enquire at the Liberator stall at Bournemouth about the cordial sold by the Elves of Rockingham Forest if you would emulate me – I have always made an effort to keep up with the Young People.

Today I attend the Oakham premiere of a film I helped finance: ‘Straight Outta Nick Compton’. It tells the story of an opening batsman who is unjustly treated and records the controversial single “Fuck tha Selectors” as a result. I see from its evening edition that The High Leicestershire Radical (which I happen to own) has given it five stars.

Back in the early 1960s I paid a visit to the Cavern Club in Liverpool to earwig on the opposition to my own Rutbeat bands. It was an enjoyable evening, but as my train pulled out from Lime Street I discovered that the girl looking after the cloakroom had given me back the wrong hat. I had to get off at Edge Hill and return to the club to put things right.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West, 1906-10.

No comments: