|Copyright © Dennis Calow|
The Magazine [pdf] - an old gateway to Leicester Castle - still stands, but Magazine Square is long gone.
These houses were built for the county militia in 1863 and occupied three sides of the square. The fourth was closed off by a drill hall.
In 1967-8 the square was swept away to make room for the Newarke underpass. That was filled in 40 years later.