Thursday, January 04, 2024

Leicester's only Edward VIII pillar box


This, as far as I can establish, is Leicester's only Edward VIII pillar box. You will find it on Windley Road, where the Saffron Lane Estate reaches the ring road.

Edward VIII's rounded monogram didn't grab me. It might have looked better on some experimental plastic box of the 1970s had he managed to retain the throne that long.

I can't find an authoritative list of where all the Edward VIII boxes are, but it seems they number something over a hundred. There seem to be two more to be found in Leicestershire: look in Earl Shilton and Hugglescote.



1 comment:

Tom Barney said...

Ronald Blythe, in his account of the abdication crisis in The Age of Illusion, writes that 'The only pillar-box with the cypher ER was at Ilford'. This is clearly wrong (it doesn't of course follow that there isn't one at Ilford). I myself know of ones at Glasgow, Penrith, Lancaster, Liverpool, Cuffley (Herts.), Twickenham and Oxshott (Surrey). I suspect the figure of 100+ is about accurate.