Saturday, January 20, 2024

Searching for a good podcast on A Canterbury Tale


Search for a podcast on a subject you like, and the odds are it'll begin with protracted banter between people you don't know. I once had to fast forward for 30 minutes to get past it.

The words you should really fear are: "Before we start..."

And when they do finally start, more often than not the discussion isn't worth the wait.

This was my experience of searching for a podcast on the Powell and Pressburger film A Canterbury Tale the other night. The consensus of the ones I found was that there weren't enough superheroes or helicopter crashes.

But eventually I found a good one. I am happy to recommend the Film & Water Podcast about A Canterbury Tale.

I like the way they liken Powell and Pressburger to the Coen Brothers: two pairs of collaborative filmmakers who produce work with its own unique atmosphere.

And their discussion of A Canterbury Tale itself is well worth a listen.

Readers voice (wearily): Have you by any chance blogged about this film yourself?

Liberal England replies: Why, funny you should ask that! Indeed I have. Here's my Derailed by A Canterbury Tale.

No comments: