Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Calder's Comfort Farm: Kenneth Horne and lead mining

My latest column can be found on the New Statesman website:

Kenneth Horne’s father Silvester was MP for Ipswich between 1910 and 1914. A contemporary said of him:

"He understands better than any speaker of his years … how to quicken slow blood, kindle light in dull eyes, and bring the flood-tide of enthusiasm sweeping into all creeks and inlets of the spirit."

I can’t remember the last time a politician filled my creeks and inlets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was an entertaining column (and, with the reference to the baffling term "late capitalism", thought-provoking too), but in one small detail you seem to be stuck in "a world of horses and steam locomotives" even now. The registrars and their registers moved out of Somerset House at least 20 years ago, so the package from there must have passed through a time warp or two on its way to you.

(Commenting here rather than at the Staggers website because all that 21st-century stuff about registering and logging in does my head in.)

Jonathan Calder said...

You are right, of course, but I thought Somerset House sounded funnier.

Maybe I haven't yet distanced my own persona in these columns far enough from Lord Bonkers?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for replying. I'm glad you knew what you were doing, though it renders my previous comment otiose.
(I've waited years, even decades, to use that adjective.)
Oh, and thanks, also, for giving us the Horne ...