Friday, April 02, 2010

Six of the Best 30

I have never been quite sure how or why Baroness Warnock came to be regarded by government as the nation's premier philosopher, but Ethical Post (or is it called Kingdom?) pays respectful attention to her ideas for reforming education. And they sound the sort of thing I would agree with too.

Iain Dale's Diary offers 20 pieces of advice to election candidates. I am not sure I agree with the oft-repeated one about not canvassing on Sundays - in my councillor days I found that people had time to chat then - but it is all useful stuff whichever party you are in.

Did you know that Gillian McKeith wanted to be a Tory council candidate in Hampstead and possibly a parliamentary candidate too? Mr Eugenides lists this among several stories that should have been April Fools' Day spoofs but weren't.

Matt T has been reading Picture Post from the 1940s and comes up with a suggestion for a central London airport and some worrying news about Gale's honey.

My recent blog post on William Mayne is just about the only mention of his death you can find on the web. Certainly, no obituaries have appeared in the newspapers. Now Life must be filled up has posted an appreciation of his work.

Wartime Housewife gives a recipe for Good Friday: hot cross buns

4 comments:

Stephen Bigger said...

A Mayne obit is being prepared for The Times, I hear. Not by me. Blog your own, Jonathan

maskofloki said...

Yeah: that was actually what I was remarking upon on my own comments to that post on this blog! I Googled and yours was the first that came up.. introducing me to this blog, which seems to share some of my civil liberties concerns! (I was of course immediately pounced upon by a wiseacre calling herself "anonymous".) It's getting difficult to post on that crowded thread now, seeing as I personally an doing so from a mobile phone: so I will continue with some of my findings here! I don't know who S. Bigger is, but it seems to me that the least the Times owes the late Mr Mayne and the reading public is a sensible obituary. Or maybe the Grauniad should step in as it gave him one of its awards. Or at least the BBC (I've mentioned Radio 4's Mayne blackout already; or you'd think the BBC news site... but no, nothing on there - though they were quick as lightning to rush into print with a *Eugene Terre Blanche* obit - someone who I am sure we are all *very* sorry is dead!) My Google findings as of Sun eve: nothing on

maskofloki said...

the Times site; bar a death notice linked to legacy.com; nothing on any of the rest of the "majors" either. Late on Good Friday evening, I noticed that locusmag.com (sci fi publication) had a shortened Mayne obit, promising a full one in their May edition. So - for us information-hounds ... looks like it's the blogosphere! Keep it up... all the best wishes from your new masked friend!

maskofloki said...

..And in the end it's been the Grauniad who stepped in to bat first; the Times still thinking about it. I think the Eccleshare piece met with my demands for a "sensible obituary"! So is it true that libraries and bookshops have been pulling him off the shelves since 2004? (What about the Bible then: that's full of incest, rapes and war crimes, and was probably put together by some pretty questionable characters. It was finalised by a Roman Emperor and they were notorious for killing their own families. Ban the Bible!) So - do you want to say hello, Mr Calder? I don't know what your customs are about commenting on your own blog.. Another thing which I have observed: quite a few people on the comments threads are using linked Blogger names which when clicked on, don't lead to anything: neither blog nor profile! I didn't previously know you could do this and i don't see the point of telling people a private blog name unless it is simply to avoid the inconvenience of typing anti-spam codes. Just saying!