Friday, December 02, 2011

Six of the Best 206

James Graham, who worked for the campaign himself, reviews Lewis Baston and Ken Ritchie's take on the 2001 AV referendum and the future of electoral reform in Britain on Quaequam Blog! "Reading the book ...  made me realise how a number of what I regard are serious misconceptions are well on their way to acquiring legendary status. So with the referendum now more than six months ago, perhaps it is time I made another attempt to give my side of the story."

Charles Lavery says the Leveson Inquiry "has succeeded in making me squirm in my seat on a daily basis, reminding me of  the times I sat outside homes where I had little or no right to do so. Most of the time I was waiting for the bad guy to appear, but not all of the time. Sometimes I was waiting for Joe Public, who was guilty of nothing more than being “newsworthy” at that particular snapshot in time."

The decline of local newspapers is mourned by Living with Rats.

Decisions, Decision, Decisions says a little noticed aspect of the Chancellor's autumn statement was the way it will make it easier to knock about and even knock about grade II listed buildings and unlisted buildings in conservation areas.

Why is the Senate so determined to allow the US military to arrest and detain US citizens? asks Dahlia Lithwick on Slate.

What's Football? points out that, if you look at World Cups since 1966, England has had the best defence in international football. Sadly, we have been much weaker as an attacking force, which is why we have so rarely looked like winning anything.

No comments: