Sunday, December 11, 2011

Judie Tzuke: For You



A month ago I chose At Seventeen by Janis Ian, who kindly left a comment thanking me.

In the hope that the trick will work again, here is another distinctive seventies single by a female vocalist. I think of For You in the same bracket as At Seventeen, though it turns out to have been released in 1978, three years later than Janis Ian's song.

I assumed at the time that she was American, but the Judie Tzuke website explains that she was born in Britain with Polish ancestry, and that both her parents were in show business.

The website also explains that For You
was released in the summer of 1978 ... and was greeted with great critical acclaim and substantial air-play but only reached the top 40.
Here is a live version of the song (albeit with a recorded vocal backing track) from Glastonbury 1982.

2 comments:

Paul Walter said...

Excellent choice, Although I prefer the studio version because of its excellent opening.

Paul Griffiths said...

Indeed. I have been going to Judie's concerts ever since the start of her career. To show how long that is, she now does a lovely a cappella version of "For You", backed by her daughters.