Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Sir Peter Soulsby should look to Leicester's suburbs



Sir Peter Soulsby ("He went to London to argue for more money for Leicester and came back with a knighthood") is keen on the city's heritage, and I salute him for that.

However, his enthusiasm for the city's heritage seems to be confined to the city centre. We have heard nothing from him on Lidl's plans to demolish the old Empire Hotel and the bosky ruins of St Augustine's.

These days I think I enjoy walking around cities more than I do walking in the country, because a city is a palimpsest. But the nature of a palimpsest is that, one day, some bastard comes and writes over it.

So I will admit that the pleasures of St Augustine's were bound to be transitory, but Soulsby really should speak up for the Empire Hotel.

No comments: