Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Jeremy Beadle dies

Jeremy Beadle has died aged 59. There is an obituary on the BBC site and a tribute from the Lib Dem Norfolk Blogger.

For my own part, I have always regarded the first screening of Beadle's series Game for a Laugh as a milestone in the coarsening of British life in the 1980s. The celebration of the SAS's role in ending the Iranian embassy siege (they even interrupted TV coverage of the snooker) was another.

Still, nil nisi bonum and all that. And he really did do a lot for charity.

3 comments:

Nich Starling said...

Game for a laugh did little mroe than to bring together lots of genres in to one show. Do you remember OTT, the adult verion of Tiswas ? Game for a laugh was no worse than that.

Anonymous said...

I believe Beadle collected rare anique books and had a substantial library - complex man!

Anonymous said...

I think you're being unfair. I think a round of applause is in order for Jeremy Beadle. A big hand anyone...?