Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Thomas Cook's daughter died from carbon monoxide poisoning

This sad story on BBC News
Holiday firm Thomas Cook "breached its duty of care" in the case of two children who died from carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday in Corfu, an inquest jury has concluded. 
Jurors returned a verdict of unlawful killing of Bobby and Christi Shepherd, who were aged six and seven. 
The children had been overcome by fumes from a faulty hot water boiler at their hotel in October 2006. 
Their mother said she would always blame the company for their deaths.
reminds me of one of my explorations of Leicester.

The photograph above shows Thomas Cook's house on London Road, Leicester. When I blogged about it I wrote:
There is a tragedy associated with the house. On 7 November 1880 Cook found his only daughter, Annie Elizabeth, dead in her bath. She was 34 and had died from inhaling carbon monoxide poisoning from one of the first gas water heaters to be installed in a house in Leicester.

No comments: