Monday, June 22, 2015

Lord Bonkers' Diary: He had to Put a Bit on Top

The new Liberator has arrived, which means it is time to visit Bonkers Hall once more.

He had to Put a Bit on Top

An unseasonably cold morning as I supervise the erection of an obelisk commemorating the many good Liberal Democrats who fell at the general election. It stands on an eminence on the Bonkers Hall Estate, across a rocky valley from the triumphal arch which marks Wallace Lawler's victory in the Birmingham Ladywood by-election.

I cannot pretend I was surprised at the debacle of 7 May: indeed, I had asked for an estimate from my stonemason well before polling day, though he had to put me off for a while because he had an urgent commission "from another political gentleman". As things turned out, we did worse at the election than even I had expected, with the result that he had to Put a Bit on Top to give him room to inscribe all the names. The public, however, will not notice a thing.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West, 1906-10.

No comments: