Saturday, June 27, 2015

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Unless it’s Alan Beith, of course

Another visit to Bonkers Hall draws to a close. How will the old monster get on with the locum vicar at St Asquith's? Time will tell.

Unless it's Alan Beith, of course

It is Farron. I find him in St Asquith’s taking down the signed photograph of Leicestershire’s 1975 County Championship winning team from behind the altar.

"Let me make a few things clear from the start," I tell him. "We are not going to sing 'Shine, Jesus, Shine,' you are not removing the pews from the church and I am not going to kiss the person next to me – unless it’s Alan Beith, of course."

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West, 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary
  • He had to Put a Bit on Top
  • Why the Liberal Democrats did so badly
  • Coffee with Freddie
  • Grant dines with Cleese, Cleese with Grant
  • "They'll eat you for breakfast"
  • No comments: