Tuesday, August 25, 2026

A mystery in Church Stretton and the most picturesque tin tabernacle of them all in Little Stretton


This is the last of these brief posts on where I have been that day, as I'm going home to Leicestershire tomorrow. They will remind me of what I got up to on holiday and of some possible longer posts about the places I've been to that I may write later in the year.

Today it was the town of Church Stretton and the village of Little Stretton. I saw several emergency vehicles in Church Stretton and a helicopter landed in the centre, all of which made me fear that someone had met with an accident on the Long Mynd, a hill that towers over the town. But I can't find any news reports about what was going on.

And in Little Stretton I once again admired All Saints' Church. This began life in 1903 as a tin tabernacle – one of those flat-pack, corrugated-iron churches that were produced in their hundreds for new industrial settlements or the further reaches of the Empire.

It's a surprise to find one in an ancient Shropshire village, but All Saints' was soon zhuzhed up with a mock Tudor exterior and thatched roof to make it look at home. And it does to this day.

Later. The incident at Church Stretton, whatever it was, didn't make the media, but somebody was flown to the Royal Stoke University Hospital in the helicopter.

2 comments:

  1. It is also worth noting that Church Stretton housed St Dunstans in the Second World War, training over 700 ex-servicemen who had been blinded in the course of their duties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was at the Long Mynd Hotel, where I've stayed more than once. Malcolm Saville's wife used to go and read to the blind servicemen there.

      Delete