Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Liberal England in 2014: Part 2

Read part 1.

April

I photographed the Empire Hotel and hydropathic institution in Newfoundpool, Leicester, before it was too late. I enjoyed the next-door ruins of St Augustine's too.

Jeremy Browne's use of the concept of a 'global race' did not inspire me. (For the record, I did buy and read the book afterwards.)

I recalled the three times I have been mentioned in Hansard. (For the record, Charlotte Henry did give up.)

My next Leicester discovery was the giant redwoods of Humberstone.

I was not impressed by Nick Clegg's handling of the Cyril Smith revelations. And then it was off to Olney, where William Cowper is honoured, and you can find this angel in ivy in the churchyard.


May

I explored the grounds and precincts of Peterborough Cathedral and Leicester City had a victory parade - how long ago that now seems!

Lord Bonkers reminded us how he dealt with Nick Clegg's spot of teenage arson, while I was worried by the right to be forgotten.

I praised the courage of Theresa May's speech to the Police Federation and the courts ruled that Richard III should be buried in Leicester. Top judging.

My Comment is Free article - "It's not just outdoor play that's gone – so has a whole genre of children's fiction" - attracted a lot of comments.

"If changing the leader isn't the answer, what will the Liberal Democrats change?" I asked. Pointedly.


June

I spent a few days in Shropshire - one of my favourite discoveries was the Institute in Llanfair Caereinion.

The Stiperstones Inn, the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway, The Old Gaol, Montgomery and Montgomery Castle also featured.

I took to writing occasional columns for the Leicester Mercury. That one was partly written at Stokesay Castle.

An unusual choice popped up as a Sunday music video: Carl Orff and his Music for Children - Trees and Flowers.

No comments: