Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Life amongst the lead mines

News from my favourite part of Shropshire:
Villagers near Shrewsbury were today warned not to eat their home-grown vegetables - because they could be poisonous. Gardens in part of Pontesbury have been poisoned. They have been contaminated from an old mine works.
This is not the first time there have been such stories. Last time I was in the area someone told me that the problem is "incomers": local people have built up resistance to lead poisoning.

A scientist writes: I am not sure about this.

No comments: